Monday, June 7, 2010

Blog 5

Blog Assignment #5- A Plan in Place for PSIII:

Read the article handed out in class, “A Plan in Place” by Sarah Jondahl taken from the First Days of School by Wong & Wong, 2010. Use this article, the course text, classroom discussion and power point to assist you in identifying the elements that you need to consider for the plan you will build for your first days in PSIII (or PSII for some). Remember to ADAPT not ADOPT providing enough specific examples that I can visualize those first days.

For my PS III practicum, I will be teaching high school art. As an activity, art is generally less structured than some of the other courses that students are required to take. Art asks students to think originally, and develop innovative ideas. As well, it is highly social and requires consistent feedback from peers, instructors, and larger audiences. For these reasons, my plan for building an effective art classroom involves more flexibility than it would if I were teaching other subject areas. My main goal when creating a plan is to maximize student learning by using clear expectations, developing a strong sense of community, and emphasizing structure and routine.

As with other classrooms, developing a clear set of expectations is an important aspect of promoting achievement in students. Having and enforcing guidelines for behavior, work, and procedure leads to less time spent on classroom management. Because I will be teaching an older group of students, I feel it will be important to involve the students in the process of developing rules. This will give students a sense of ownership in their own learning and behavior, a deeper understanding of why certain rules exist, and a perception that consequences are reasonable. One of the first rules that must be emphasized in an art classroom is safety. Artists work with a variety of materials and tools including chemicals and sharp blades. It is important that students only use these with teacher permission and appropriate training. As well, cleaning up is imperative to safety in an art classroom. Spills and debris can cause accidents for both students and their work, so students must be accountable for keeping the room a safe physical space. Behavior is also important in any classroom, and it can directly influence the work being produced. Art can be a meaningful activity for many students who struggle in other areas, as it allows them to express emotions that are difficult to express verbally. Nevertheless, disruptive behavior during demonstrations or behavior that negatively influences the learning of others must have consistent consequences. One consequence that I have effectively implemented in the past is to have students who are being disruptive perform monotonous art related tasks such as organizing a cupboard or sharpening a set of pencil crayons. Obviously the student would be given opportunities to engage in productive, creative work after the task has been completed. Additionally, I believe that art should be challenging and rewarding. I expect students to work to the best of their abilities, but be willing to modify and analyze work to grow as an artist. It is important for all students to realize that everyone has different strengths and abilities, so a strong effort will be emphasized.

During my first days of school at my practicum, I want to develop a strong community of learners. One way to introduce this idea is by sharing personal information, anecdotes, and work. Sharing appropriate aspects of my life has often helped me become more approachable to students. I might begin a class with a short presentation that includes some of my own art, my favorite artists, and things that I struggle with as an artist. Then I would invite students to ask me any questions and tell me about any difficulties or concerns they have in art (or life). The idea of a safe, caring community could be extended by playing introductory games and doing team building exercise such as keypunch. As a strong sense of community is important throughout the year, I would give students opportunities to work both individually and collaboratively through assignments, presentations, and peer-teaching. I also feel that a significant part of helping students grow artistically is to provide them with small, achievable tasks that develop a sense of accomplishment. Once basic needs for safety and belonging are met, students can be challenged to build on skills.

As a young art student, I often felt that I would have benefited from more time to experiment, and less time being instructed. While my philosophies about art education stem from this basic idea, I also believe that structure and routine should be considered in any classroom. In high school, most students take art as an option, indicating some degree of interest in the subject to begin with. Therefore, I plan on talking less and interacting more. My routine will change slightly depending on whether students are being instructed on a new topic or if they are continuing to work on an existing project. Some elements that I will use consistently are: Writing directions/ plan for the class every day, verbally informing students what they should accomplish during the lesson, reminding students about upcoming assignments, and asking students if they have any questions. As well, I will have designated areas for completed work, work to be handed in, and work that is ready for display.

My plan for creating a positive learning experience for my students is to develop and post clear expectations, involve students in a sense of community, and give students consistency and routine. This will be done through involving students in decision making, providing opportunities to succeed in a safe environment, and allow personal freedom in a structured space. When implemented, I hope my classroom becomes an inviting learning environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment